Sunday 31 July 2011

Argentina: Mendoza or the cradle of wine.

After visiting Montevideo, it was time to come back to Argentina, in this occasion for a longer period of time. The trip back to Buenos Aires by boat was really pleasant: a clear and sunny day made it really enjoyable and the sight of Puerto Madero and its skyscrapers' silhouette in the horizon would welcome us back go the "capital federal", even if it was only for a few hours before departing for Mendoza, the cradle of Argentinian wine. Maybe it's not really relevant to describe in detail my means of transportation this time but I had to admit that, after all the horrible buses and roads in Bolivia, I wanted to spoil myself a little bit, so I decided to take a first class bus ride to Mendoza and trust me when I say I didn't regret my decision: completely flat bed with blankets, personal entertainment system including all sorts of movies and music, an attentive steward, wine, spirits, warm dinner and breakfast and all sorts of luxurious details. Who would want to fly within Argentina having these buses?


Mendoza in itself is not the city with the most sightseeing possibilities, but what really attracts people to it are the hundreds of wineries producing over 70% of the wine of the country and the astonishing natural surroundings, as the city is located just at the feet of the Andes and has some really incredible views of some of the highest peaks, like Aconcagua ( 6962 m ). I had had the chance to see some really incredible mountain landscapes in Bolivia and Peru and this time I didn't have many days to explore the area, so I focused on what I really came for...wine!

We took a tour covering three of the main wineries in the region and had the chance to try some really incredible wines, some of them while enjoying nice modern cuisine with the most dreamy landscapes of the Andes. As my passion for wine grows, so does my passion for this country. Its people are just so kind and warm, making you welcome and leaving aside the gringo tag I was so often given in the upper areas of the Andes. They are latin but really Mediterranean like, that is where their Spanish and Italian blood seems to go to. Passionate about what they like or hate, and always knowing how to enjoy life.


My visit to Mendoza was fairly brief, but it left me a really good aftertaste, and it was not (just) because of the wine, I swear. I would like to come back and enjoy some more peaceful days in this calmed side of Argentina, next time visiting the lovely natural surroundings. In the meantime, I can say I have really enjoyed widening my knowledge about Argentinian wine and taking some time off the big cities.

No comments:

Post a Comment