Sunday 29 May 2011

Chile: Arica. From the top of the world to the Pacific coast.

Have you been wondering why there have been no updates recently? Well, it´s been pretty hectic around here. I wouldn´t know where to start from or where to end. But I am ready to tell you a bit more about this exciting adventure that is exceeding my own expectations.

The moment I am writing this text, I am in the town of Arica, in Northern Chile. I am just chilling in this town of surfers and fishermen by the Pacific Ocean while preparing for my imminent departure for the highest capital in the world, La Paz. The main reason why I got here was the issue with Peruvian farmers demonstrating against a Canadian mining company who wanted to start business in the area, that has kept the Peruvian-Bolivian borders closed for almost a month now. In principle, I was planning to cross via Puno and Desaguadero but I had to divert my route to Chile to ensure I could get into the country (legally).

I could tell you all about bombs at the airport in Cusco, protestors taking over the Peruvian border and blocking the country, the uncertainty to make plans down here and their laid back attitude that makes things slow and sometimes difficult, etc. These are things that spice up and make my travels more exciting, but far from being unusual, they are part of daily reality in this part of the planet. It is really inspiring to see how real life can be for people in this continent. We are usually too focused on the image that the Western news portrait of the world around us, and we tend to forget how different life is for some people all around the world. The political situation is really agitated and there are some serious ongoing issues around here that we hardly hear about in Europe. Instead, Bin Laden´s killing keeps the spotlight for several weeks as if nothing more important was happening around. Not that his death will change the life of any of us though...well, wait, I heard some people were actually claiming they should be able to carry shampoo when travelling by plane now that he´s dead.

During my last days in Peru, I´ve had the chance to visit the Sacred Valley and some really ancient Inca ruins, the city of Arequipa, with its beautiful colonial architecture and a really impressive main square, and the Colca Canyon, with its 3400m at its deepest part. I could write a long text to describe them all, but I prefer to leave you with some images to show you one of the most precious corners of the planet, and I will keep the literature for all that this place is inspiring in me.

It has been difficult to bid farewell to Peru, and I will keep some really fond memories of this country. Despite the mess it is, it has made me feel at home from the very first day. The warmth of its people, the most incredible sights, the power of nature, crazy karaoke nights (errrmmm, well yes, why not?)...and of course, all the people that have contributed to make this experience unique: my new Scandinavian, Dutch, Mexican, Australian, Israeli, Spanish, Argentinian friends, whom I´ve met on the road, and that I hope to see soon around. You cannot imagine how many people travel alone until you actually take the initiative to do so. But I can say now that, in this part of the world, you never travel alone. There is always someone to share all these unforgettable experiences with you and make them feel real. I was there, it wasn´t a dream.

I have seen fascinating mountain ranges, a stunning canyon not as known as Colorado but way deeper and populated by the one of the most inspiring animals in the world (the magnificent condor), staggering rainforest immaculately kept unique by the most mysterious fog, though annoyingly humid and full of insects, ancient towns that keep their charm despite centuries of violent history, wars and human nonsense, conquers and civil wars, the insanely long Panamerican highway, crossing southwards the Western side of the South American continent through endless deserts only seen in movies.... I have seen misery yet smiling faces and the will to live. Peru will definitely keep a place in my heart, and I hope I can return one day to visit all those (several) places I couldn´t visit this time.

Today I am in Chile, where all of a sudden drivers stop to let the pedestrians cross the road instead of making them wait forever to cross in a risky and suicidal mode, where shops are all around and things seem to be more organised. Arica is a nice quiet town that, despite not having much to see, serves perfectly well its purpose as a resting place before I head for the main core of my travels: Bolivia. I have been told of misery and poverty over there, horrible unpaved roads and incredible sights. I cannot wait to set foot there. I will tell you more about it soon. Until then, sleep tight my friends.














2 comments:

  1. liebres como el vuelo del condor

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sigue contandonos historias! Como me recuerda al viaje que hicimos Lauren y yo! Como es La Paz? Vas a Santa Cruz? y como se llama... la Cochabamba? un abrazo. Victor

    ReplyDelete